British Columbia Historical Photographs Online
British Columbia Historical Photographs Online contains annotated links to
mounted on archival web sites in British Columbia.
Maintained by the Archives Association of British Columbia
Revised: March 2013
Valley Museum Historic Photograph Collection
Provides an online photograph database for historical images of the Alberni Valley.
Bella Coola Museum: B.C. Central Coast Archives
Provides an online photograph database for historical images of the Bella Coola Valley.
British Columbia Archives (Royal BC Museum) --
Visual Records Online
Database contains textual descriptions of photographs, paintings, drawings and prints from the British Columbia Archives' visual records collection. Of these over 110,000 items have images on-line for viewing.
BC Institute of Technology Archives -- Aircraft
Training Maintenance Multi-media Collection
Provides access to a searchable multi-media collection related to the first fifty years of Aircraft Maintenance Training.
City of Richmond Archives -- Historical
Out of the City Archives photograph collection of 100,000+ images from 1880 to 2005, more than 7,000 have been scanned and published online. Among the many topics are: farming and fishing, Richmond's bridges, schools, aerial photographs, and citizens from 1880 to the present.
City of Surrey Archives
The City of Surrey Archives' SAMOA (Surrey Archives & Museum Online Access) database provides access to over 10,000 digitized photographs.
City of Vancouver Archives Historical
The Archives photograph holdings are comprised of more than one million images from private-sector and public-sector records. Approximately 80,000 images described at the item level are available for public reference in the Archives' Reference Room. Roughly 72,000 item-level descriptions are available in the database and of these, about 58,000 have scanned images linked to the description. Photographs depict subjects relating to Vancouver's history, government and culture from the 1860s to the 2000s.
Greater Vernon Museum and Archives Online
Provides an online photograph database for historical images of Vernon and area in the holdings of the Greater Vernon Museum and Archives.
Online database of the City of Burnaby's collections of photographs, artifacts, textual records and heritage landmarks.
Langley Centennial Museum Photograph
Provides an online database of nearly 5,000 historical photographs in the holdings of the Langley Centennial Museum and National Exhibition Centre.
Westminster Public Library Historical Photo Database
Provides an online database of the Library's historical photograph collection.
North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Integrated database of archival holdings includes descriptions and scanned images from the 45,000 historic photographs of North Vancouver and area preserved in the Archives Collection.
Royal British Columbia Museum,
Thompson-Okanagan Historic Photographs
Part of the Museum's Living Landscapes project covering the Thompson-Okanagan region, this site offers a database of scanned images of historic photographs drawn from the holdings of the Kelowna Museum, the Historic O'Keefe Ranch, the En'Owkin Centre, and the Okanagan Centre Museum.
UBC Library Digital
Collections and Services
This site provides an overview of digital collections created and maintained by the University of British Columbia Library:
- British Columbia History Digital Collections: These digitized collections document aspects of the history of British Columbia represented in the holdings of UBC Library's Rare Books and Special Collections and the University Archives. The collections contain digitized photographs, audio and video recordings, manuscripts (including correspondence and diaries), newspapers and other publications, and ephemera.
- University of British Columbia Digital Collections: Included in these collections, developed and maintained by the University of British Columbia Archives, are digitized photographs, audio-visual recordings, manuscripts, official University reports, publications, and virtual displays. Together these collections present a record of UBC's growth and development, prominent student and faculty personalities, the evolution of student life, and campus events over the past century.
- Other UBC Library Digital Collections: These collections consist of materials held by various branches of the UBC Library, and document various fields of world history and, in some cases, contemporary events. The collections consist of manuscripts, maps and other cartographic materials, artwork, photographs, audio-visual materials, websites, and ephemera.
Victoria Archives Historical Photograph Collection
The database provides access to images from the University of Victoria Archives historical photograph collection, most depicting persons, events and facilities at the University of Victoria and its predecessor body, Victoria College.
Vancouver Public Library Historical Photographs
The collection was established by Ron D'Altroy in the early 1960s. Over time, the number of photographs housed in the Special Collections Division has increased through the acquisition of a number of major collections, some of which have been digitized and made available through an online Historical Photographs database. Several of the collections are also accessible through thematic digital collections.
Archives Photograph Collection
This online database contains 200 historical images from the Wells Archives (Wells Historical Society) depicting people, activity, industry and scenes around Wells and Barkerville.
Searchable database includes more than 2,000 scanned historic photographs and documents.
Campbell River Museum and Archives
"'A Moment in Time', A Collection of Henry Twidle's Photographs" is a virtual exhibit incorporating photographs from the archival holdings of the Museum at Campbell River taken by Henry Twidle at the beginning of the 20th century. Photographs include logging camps, commercial fishing boats and canneries, and pioneer settlements and settlers. Pacific Coast Salmon Fisheries was an earlier online gallery of historical photographs depicting fishing technology and techniques from First Nations to the present day.
City of Victoria Archives
The City of Victoria Archives provides an online gallery of photographs of Royal Visits between 1939 and 1971 and the Victoria 150 Archival Photos tribute to Victoria's 150th anniversary in 2012.
Archives and Museum
Archival photographs of Comox and area are featured in topical pages about the community's history.
Enderby and District Museum and Archives
Online exhibit ("Snapshots from the Past") of historical photographs organized by theme documenting the history of Enderby and surrounding areas. Includes an Image Directory with links to all online photographs.
Exploration Place Museum & Science Centre (Fraser-Fort
George Regional Museum)
Several Online Exhibits document the history of Prince George and the surrounding region, including two exhibits that examine the lives and work of two photoraphers: the J. Simonson Photographic Collection presents images taken by Jacob Simonson, depicting scenes, activities and people in the Fort George (Prince George) area of Central British Columbia in the early part of the 20th century; the Wally West Collection features the work of Prince George commercial photographer W.D. West who established his studio in 1946.
Museum & Archives
Several examples of collections include historical photographs.
Prince Rupert City and Regional Archives Photograph
Gallery provides sample images of historical photographs from the archives' holdings depicting scenes of Prince Rupert and area.
Museum and Archives Historical Photographs
Gallery provides samples of historical images from the archives' photograph holdings.
Rossland Museum Photo Gallery
Gallery provides samples of historical photographs from the archives' holdings relating to Rossland and the Le Roi mines.
Historical Society Photographs
Gallery contains historical photographs of Silverton and New Denver from the archives' holdings.
Some of Touchstones Nelson's digitization activities relating to its photographs holdings include
- Touchstones Nelson's Flickr Photostream contains digitized nitrate negatives, including photographs by J. H. Allen, Geo. A. Meeres, and J. D. Spurway
- Changes Upstream - the Photographs of Stanley G. Triggs offers over 200 photographs taken by Triggs between 1969 and 1972 as he visually documented the impact of the Libby Dam's construction in Montana on the Kootenay River in BC.
- Landscape Lost: Forestry and Life in the Duncan River Valley, an online exhibit featuring hundreds of photographs taken by Bob Wallace of the Upper Duncan River Valley, Bear Lookout, Howser and Lardeau from 1942 to 1952.
The Photo Gallery features images grouped into 27 themed collections depicting scenes of Trail from ca. 1896 to the early 1990s. The gallery is also searchable by keyword and topic.
United Church of Canada British Columbia
The Virtual Exhibit (Photogallery) features images depicting the history of the United Church of Canada's Marine Missions on the Central Coast of British Columbia and Japanese Missions in BC.
British Columbia Archives
In addition to its comprehensive online photograph database, UBC Archives has now begun to add photograph galleries to inventories of fonds and collections in its holdings. Included are: the Gavin Dirom Photo Gallery and the George Van Wilby Photo Gallery.
Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo
As a part of a major online exhibition documenting the history of the various Chinatowns in Nanaimo, site provides searchable, online access to related historical photographs from the holdings of the Nanaimo Community Archives.
Vancouver Public Library Digital Collections
Digital collections available online include the:
- Leonard Frank Photograph Collection
- Philip T.Timms: Vancouver's Golden Years: 1900-1910
- British Columbia Through the Camera Lens of Philip Timms
- Mattie Gunterman: Camp Cook and Photographer
- The Artray Photograph Collection: Vignettes of Post War Vancouver
- The Canadian Pacific Railway Photograph Collection: A Special Collection of Photographs Documenting the History of the CPR in British Columbia.
Museum of Canada
The Community Memories section contains over 50 online exhibits from British Columbia, most of which utilize historical photographs from archival collections. The Image Gallery section showcases thousands of artefacts, photos, paintings and objects from Canadian museums.
Museum and Archives
The Photo Gallery contains several thematic collections offering a variety of historical photographs documenting the development of the Whistler community and surrounding region. Two online exhibits are devoted to the Pioneer Photographs from the Myrtle Phillip Collection and The History of Olympic Bids.