Job Opportunity - Archivist (private holdings) - Victoria, BC
One Year Contract (2,000 hours)
Start Date: Negotiable
Our client has a need for an experienced archivist to gather, arrange, appraise, describe, preserve and make available records of archival value (multi-format, both personal and corporate) and recommend policies and procedures for the storage and preservation of the collection.
This position will deal directly with a prominent Canadian family and requires a high degree of discretion, confidentiality and good judgement. The ideal candidate will have previous experience supporting archival efforts of private collections and/or have dealt with highly sensitive or confidential collections or donations.
The archivist will work closely with the principal reviewing and sorting materials requiring flexibility in schedule and an ability for the candidate to work independently between meetings. As such flexibility is required, this role may be structured as part-time or full-time depending on the successful candidate's availability and preference.
To be successful in this role, the candidate will meet the following:
• Master of Archival Studies or a Master of Library and Information Sciences with completion of archival courses from an ALA accredited institution
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant archival experience
• Demonstrated experience with data entry and have completed archival arrangement and description per the Canadian Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
• Demonstrated skills in time management and project management
• Familiarity with copyright and information access and privacy laws as they apply to archival records
• Proficiency using archival software programs and familiarity with a variety of archival software programs
• Familiarity with handling and scanning fragile historical documents and digitizing
• Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds
• Must be able to work independently and maintain project deadlines and prepare update reports as required
If you believe you are a fit for this position, please forward your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
1. Describe a recent project you have undertaken which required you to start with no existing structure or process in place to follow. Describe how you started the project and how you decided to start in that way.
2. Describe how you have dealt with a delay in your work due to a key person's availability. How didyou deal with the person's availability issues and were you able to work around the delay and if so, how?
Posting will remain open until filled.