Assistant Archivist-City of Surrey (Surrey, BC)
The City of Surrey's Heritage Services Division provides exciting opportunities and challenges in an active and energetic environment. We're currently looking for an enthusiastic new graduate for an internship position as Assistant Archivist.
- The Assistant Archivist will assist in acquisition, arrangement and description, reference services, outreach initiatives, programming, and preservation tasks.
- The Assistant Archivist will process, digitize, arrange and describe collections containing textual, photographic and other assorted record formats, and create a digital school program. All archival descriptions will be entered in to the Archives' database, increasing the resources available to the public in the Archives Reference Room and online through SAMOA (Surrey Archives and Museums Online Access).
- The Assistant Archivist will also undertake a role in acquisition decisions, outreach events, public programming, preservation monitoring, and reference services.
The successful candidate will be selected based on their education, experience and skills related to the job.
- Candidates must have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution within the last 24 months.
- Completion of a Masters of Archival Studies or a Masters of Library and Information Studies degree is desirable.
- Work experience within a cultural heritage facility is favourable, along with training and experience in archival description.
- The successful candidate will also have a valid driver's licence, with a safe driving history as well as current Standard First Aid and CPR certificates (or acceptable equivalent).
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check. Funded in part through Heritage Canada's Young Canada Works Building Careers in Heritage, applicants need to meet specific eligibility requirements including: be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment, are an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, and will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with this position. To find out more, visit: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1459878161086.
For more details and how to apply, go to www.surreycareers.ca
This is an auxiliary, union position.
We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent opportunities to advance.