H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver British Columbia, V6J 3J9
Department: Learning Services
Reports To: Director of Learning
Rate of Pay: $24.79/hr + 8% in lieu of vacation & statutory holiday pay-35 hours/week
Period of Employment: Temporary full-time, for a 16-week term ending by March 31, 2021 (grant funded)
Posting Date: September 22, 2021
Closing Date: October 1, 2021
Nature of Position
The H.R. MacMillan Space Centre is seeking a dynamic recent graduate from a recognized archives program to assist in establishing our image archives. The Space Centre has a vast collection of approximately 80,000 images taken from historic sites around the world. We are in the process of assessing our collection and establishing a contemporary archives to protect the images and make them more available.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Working with staff this position involves establishing a collections management system and ensuring documentation outlines best practices for digitizing, cataloguing and storing our images and other materials, and to make recommendations for future work to attain contemporary archival standards.
Recent archival studies graduate with a training in managing audio visual materials, database design, and digital image collections
· Experience in digitizing materials
· Knowledge of RAD
· Good communication skills - written and verbal
· Good computer and research skills
· Good organizational skills
· Good problem solving and multi-tasking abilities
· Attention to detail
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team
· Flexible and able to work in different work environments
· Legible hand writing / printing
· Ability to lift 50 lbs.
This is a grant-funded student employment position. Candidates must
· be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
· be legally entitled to work in Canada;
· be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
· commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
· not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
· be an unemployed or underemployed college or university graduate, (not employed full-time);
· be a recent graduate from a college or university within the last 24 months at the start of employment;
· not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program; and
· not have previously participated in or been paid under this or any other Career Focus internship program funded under the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy.
Please apply in writing with a resume and cover letter to the attention of the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, October 1, 2021.