2023 AABC & ARMA Vancouver Island Joint Conference
"Access Ability: Exploring Themes of Access in Archives and Information Management"
Date: Friday, April 28, 2023
Location: Wilna Thomas Building, Camosun College Lansdowne Campus, located in beautiful Victoria, B.C.
Format: Hybrid format (in-person and online)
As archivists and information professionals, we serve the public, our community and/or our co-workers through access. “Accessing our collections” is often one of the most clicked webpages on an archives website, while information professionals similarly endeavour to improve the findability of records. This can involve collaboration with privacy and legal experts to limit access to records to certain approved individuals. Disability activists and Indigenous communities have also reminded us that access cannot and should not be a one-size-fits-all solution. Many of us are also still perfecting our remote access models, which we had to accelerate as a result of the ongoing pandemic. The purpose of this conference is to share resources and ideas related to improved access. After all, access is the primary consideration of archives and records management!
Call for Proposals!
The organizing committee for the AABC/ARMA VI Joint Conference 2023 are inviting proposals related to the topic of access. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
● balancing accessibility and privacy in archives and information management;
● arranging and describing collections for a broad audience;
● cultural protocols for access such as those in Indigenous archives and information management;
● access considerations for marginalized and/or racialized community-based archives;
● case studies of digitization initiatives by both small and large institutions or community-based archives;
● access to archival and information management education and professional development;
● user experience (UX) design for accessibility;
● appraising active records for the transition to archives and the curation process this entails; and
● other topics may be considered.
Deadline: Please submit conference proposals of 250 words and a short bio to email@example.com by Wednesday March 8th, 2023. If you have a preferred presentation format (e.g. roundtable discussion, lecture), please include that information as well in your submission.
Call for Volunteers
We are looking for a dedicated group of volunteers to help make the 2023 ARMA VI/AABC Joint Conference a success!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering or have any questions. We have several different volunteering opportunities available, including:
Time Commitment : Approximately two hours per month, increasing in frequency closer to conference date. Time commitment will vary across roles.
© 2006-2023 Archives Association of British Columbia. All Rights Reserved.
The Archives Association of British Columbia acknowledges that it carries out its work on the land of Indigenous nations throughout British Columbia. We are grateful for the continuing relationships with Indigenous people in B.C. that develop through our work together.